Piercings and Tattoos by Hannah Sachs

The students at ACE have a wide variety of symbols and piercings to show their unique sense of style. This year, many of them have their name or something that separates them from the other students. “My piercing shows that I can be different and special to myself, even if others may have the same one, I still feel unique, because no one’s is exactly the same”, states Shannon Taylor, a junior here at the Alternative Center. Also, some students have tongue, lip, nose, Monroe, and other piercings. These students have their everyday accessories to make them in their own way, one of a kind.

Some tattoos resemble a life experience or just mean something special to them. Some people may think it’s disgusting and it offends them. Also, in some cases for jobs, the location of tattoos and piercings force workers to hide decorations, while other times, it’s hard to find a job because employers don’t allow them to be visible. When they do this, it forces them to hide their true self. It depends where you’re piercing is located and what type of job you’re going for.

Did you know that an employer has the right to fire you if they don’t like your body art? Some people think that they shouldn’t hide who they really are for a job. Those are the ones who will stand up for themselves and prove they don’t have to change for anyone. I don’t see what the big deal is, but others see different. Basically they think if you look like a freak, you’ll act like a freak. The population of body decoration has increased in the past decade. In our culture, body piercings and tattoos are looked down upon.

As the body art continues to increase, society, including employers is going to be forced to be more lenient.