The Alternative Times

Breaking news written by the ACE Journalism Class and our friends

Breaking News
  • April 23Very Important Date - Saturday, May 11th is Joe Pepin Day at ACE
  • September 22Follow us on X/TWITTER and get our articles first! @acealttimes

The Alternative Times

The Alternative Times

ACE students enjoy a day at UCONN attending a Stock Market simulation.
The Stock Trip
April 4, 2024
ACE students at NVCC learning about  EMT work as a possible career path.
NVCC Trip
April 2, 2024
Joannes door for Womens History Month
FLEX Update
April 2, 2024
Support Us
$160
$800
Contributed
Our Goal
Archives

Brookfield Craft Center

staff
Brookfield Craft Center invites you to LEARN – EXPLORE – ENJOY

On Saturday 14th of October, 2023, Anthony Hellmann took a group of five seniors from ACE to go on a tour of the Brookfield Craft Center. From noon to around 2:30, they walked around to all of the available viewable crafts. 

The different crafts are found around the different buildings in the area. These crafts include:

• Forging
  • Glass art
  • Ceramics/Potery
  • Weaving
  • Woodworking
  • Fiber art
  • Jewelry making
  • Drawing/Painting
  • Photography and more

Out of these choices we went to the first five, instructed by the reliable helpers at Brookfield Craft Center who guided us around the campus. The first one, forging, was the most interesting by far. With it being the teachers personal pick and the one the student’s were the most curious about. Statements like “Forging was badass” and “I wanted to try it” go to prove it, along with the group having ended up staying the longest here, to the point of ignoring when asked to check out another artist to watch the full process.

We saw from start to finish how one of the foragers took a scrap of metal and welded it into a hook. (Staff)

For the rest of the trip, we tried to take our time accordingly to look at as many of the crafts as we could with the time we had left thanks to Anthony and the helper. We each viewed parts of the instructor’s art as well as getting to ask questions while we were there. 

The lady who was introducing us to weaving offered everybody a turn to try the machine.  (Staff)

Even after leaving the craft center, the student’s were able to walk to a nearby Deli, aptly named the New Brookfield Market and Deli.

While you can certainly go around by yourself and check out all that the center has to offer, I’d recommend taking a tour like we did, since having a volunteer help us around changed the experience for us. Either way it’s recommended to go to the instructors of the Brookfield Craft Center if you not only have any questions but if you want to be introduced to any of these crafts.

There is a chance they may give our school a grant to have students take any of the different classes they have there. If any student’s reading this are interested in taking up a craft let the teachers here know about it so it could potentially be offered to you.

Brookfield Craft Center – Location- 286 Whisconier RD,  Brookfield CT