The Alternative Times

Breaking news written by the ACE Journalism Class and our friends

Breaking News
  • April 23Very Important Date - Saturday, May 11th is Joe Pepin Day at ACE
  • September 22Follow us on X/TWITTER and get our articles first! @acealttimes

The Alternative Times

The Alternative Times

ACE students enjoy a day at UCONN attending a Stock Market simulation.
The Stock Trip
April 4, 2024
ACE students at NVCC learning about  EMT work as a possible career path.
NVCC Trip
April 2, 2024
Joannes door for Womens History Month
FLEX Update
April 2, 2024
Support Us
$160
$800
Contributed
Our Goal
Archives

Gap Years

Yes or No?
Have you considered the places you’ll go in a gap year? Graphic taken from https://nytedu.com/blog/designing-your-future-the-gap-year-experience/

Taking a gap year can be a wise decision for many students. It offers a valuable opportunity to explore different paths, gain real-world experience, and develop important life skills. During a gap year, students can participate in meaningful activities like volunteering, interning, or traveling, which can improve their personal and professional growth. It allows students to step outside their comfort zones, broaden their perspectives, and discover their passions. Gap years can also provide valuable time for self-reflection and help students make more informed decisions about their future academic and career paths. A well-planned gap year can be a valuable personal and professional development investment. 

The counselor here at ACE DJ has given his input on this topic by saying “Gap years can be good if the student is being productive and using their time wisely.” Many students contemplating this decision ask if I could lose a scholarship if I choose to take a gap year. DJ responded, “It depends on the scholarship that you have, most of the time if colleges see that you have been productive with your time they have no reason to pull the scholarship.” People also may ask if they will have a hard time adjusting to college after the gap year which he then responded, “It depends what you do with your gap year.” 

I think gap years are a good idea because you have opportunities to work on yourself and learn new things. I wouldn’t take one because I don’t think I would want to go back to school after a year of exploring the world and learning new things, but for other people, it may be a good idea.