The Alternative Times

Breaking news written by the ACE Journalism Class and our friends

Breaking News
  • April 23Very Important Date - Saturday, May 11th is Joe Pepin Day at ACE
  • September 22Follow us on X/TWITTER and get our articles first! @acealttimes

The Alternative Times

The Alternative Times

ACE students enjoy a day at UCONN attending a Stock Market simulation.
The Stock Trip
April 4, 2024
ACE students at NVCC learning about  EMT work as a possible career path.
NVCC Trip
April 2, 2024
Joannes door for Womens History Month
FLEX Update
April 2, 2024
Support Us
$160
$800
Contributed
Our Goal
Archives

ACE Students Brave Friday, the 13th on the Annual Poetry Hike

Daniela Esposito
Eleven students and two teachers went on a poetry hike through the woods in Washington CT on Friday the 13tth!

“It’s the not the destination, It’s the journey.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance

Since 2017, ACE students and teachers have been taking a twice-annual trek into the woods in Washington, CT’s Steep Rock Preserve. On Friday, October 13th, eleven students and two teachers faced their superstitions head-on and took to the woods at Bee Brook. Inspired by the beautiful forest, the breathtaking fall foliage, the Shepaug River, and the Transcendental quotes that span the railing on the Thoreau Bridge, the group spent the day hiking and writing and sketching nature in the New England countryside. We ended our day at Averill Farm in Washington, CT enjoying the windy field, a few dogs, and freshly baked apple cider donuts.

Still…remember the date. It was Friday the 13th and the day held a few obstacles which required us to be brave, work as a team, use problem solving skills, and laugh in the face of adversity.

“I loved the poetry hike,” said junior, Khriselynn Rivera.  “My favorite part of the day was when we were sitting at the picnic table and two dogs came running over and I helped my friend overcome her fear of dogs.” 

“I loved how we had fun, even though many things happened along the way that made it interesting. For example, we got lost on a trail, the picnic table we were sitting on collapsed, we got stuck in the mud, and my phone fell into the river (but it’s still working!),” said Dayanara Burgos-Ramos. “At the apple farm, I bought my mom a beautiful mum and two pepper plants and she was so happy when she came home from work.”

Students returned to ACE in time for the afternoon bus, exhausted and happy with plenty of stories to share. If you’re interested in attending our next poetry hike, we will be setting out again in Spring 2024 (just not on April Fool’s Day, I promise!)

“What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny compared to what lies within us.” -Henry David Thoreau