The Alternative Times

Breaking news written by the ACE Journalism Class and our friends

Breaking News
  • April 23Very Important Date - Saturday, May 11th is Joe Pepin Day at ACE
  • September 22Follow us on X/TWITTER and get our articles first! @acealttimes

The Alternative Times

The Alternative Times

Support Us
$160
$800
Contributed
Our Goal
Archives

Cats or Dogs?

Haley Sanchez
Haley’s cat (Gordan)

Did you know dogs and cats became domesticated animals between 20-40,000 years ago? Research shows that 74% of people like dogs and only 41%  like cats. You can get a dog or a cat at an animal shelter, and or rescue organizations. Did you also know that dogs are more likely to get adopted by people with less busy lifestyles and higher income?

Dogs are harder  to maintain and more expensive than cats in most cases . They are very dependent and can’t be left alone for too long or they become sad. Dogs usually need a bigger space and more attention. 

Cats on the other hand can fit into busy and  modern lifestyles especially because they are easy to maintain. Cats are pretty independent and can be left alone much more easily and are more suitable for smaller houses. Cats are often chosen by people who have busy and stressful lifestyles and who want some companionship when they go home to relax . 

Cats are more independent and are generally cheaper and less demanding pet to have, while Dogs are loyal and obedient but require more attention and exercise. That includes regular walks and multiple breaks outside for the bathroom.

I interviewed a couple people at  ACE high school and outside school to determine if people like cats or dogs more. I can determine that most people like cats more based on the answer they gave me. I interviewed ACE student  Haley and asked her “what do you prefer cats or dogs ?” She said, “I have both cats and dogs so it’s hard to pick, but cats would be a better option.” She likes and has both but prefers cats. She says she prefers cats because her hijo(cat)is very easy to clean and look after. “I don’t have to take him on walks or be worried about him getting hurt outside.” I asked her if she would get another cat or dog and what would she like to name it and she answered, “I want another bebesito(puppy) but girl I got five dogs and five cats already! But if I  would get another doggy, I wouldn’t know what to name it. I would have to think about it.”

I proceeded to ask her what would she like the puppy to look like and she stated, “I want  a little curly dog like a miniature poodle the that fits in a cup.”  At last I asked what her hijo’s(cat’s)personality was like and she said “very loveable but they are very moody sometimes .” Haley is very passionate about her cat and explained how much fun it is to own a cat rather than a dog.

Many other people agree that cats are better, especially those who own a pet cat. Joseph says he prefers cats because “dogs need too much attention, time and patience, something I don’t got.” I also asked him how would he describe his pet’s personality. Joseph replied, “He’s very chill and lovely but sometimes he is a demonio and is aggressive but I don’t mind it. I know he’s just a kitten.” I can see that out of everyone I interviewed, more people prefer cats over dogs.

Overall cats are more liked by people as domestic pets rather than dogs because they are easier  to maintain with their  lifestyle.