Celebrate Black History Month With ACE

Ludmila Conceicao, Staff Writer

This month is about bringing awareness to the contributions and tribulations and setbacks and victories.

— Rodney Amable, ACE

Throughout the month of February, Americans celebrate Black History Month – An observance that’s been officially recognized for the last 53 years. The intent of Black History Month is to celebrate and honor the achievements of Black Americans throughout history. Various members of the ACE community are sharing their thoughts as well as the different ways they’re celebrating Black History in the classroom.

This week, ACE English teacher Daniela shared a wholesome story with her guidance students – a story about two girls of different races who view each other as twins. “They see no difference in each other,” she explains, “because they have the same soul.”

Daniela has also been sharing the work of black poets with her students, “We read Thank You, Ma’am by Langston Hughes, which was written during the Harlem Renaissance.” She arranged a slideshow during her guidance intended to educate students about black creatives and their work.

ACE teacher Glenda curated an activity in her Human Resources classes in which students researched a notable person of African American descent and wrote biographies on their chosen person. Maoli Ordonez, one of Glenda’s students, wrote a biography on actress Zendaya and her various achievements. Kiyu Prince created an artistic representation of the contributions made by Marian Anderson after his research.

Women’s History Project for Glenda’s class. (Art by Kiyu Prince )

On February 24, Glenda and ACE student Genesis Andujar attended the ‘In Her Own Words’ event at the Danbury Museum – an event intended to celebrate the life and accomplishments of Marian Anderson. Glenda did a read-aloud of Anderson’s autobiography, My Lord, What a Morning. Additionally, Genesis performed a cover of Cynthia Erivo’s song Stand Up.

Flyer for the special Marian Anderson Readings (Flyer from The Danbury Museum)

Other ACE staff have shared their thoughts on what Black History Month means to them. “This month is about bringing awareness to the contributions and tribulations and setbacks and victories. Sensitize the nation and especially people of color – how far we’ve come and how much we have to go,” said Rodney, Alternative Times advisor. 

Speaking about the takeaways of Black History Month, Rodney stated, “Well you’re given an impression that people of color have contributed little to nothing to the growth of this country and mankind in general. But during black history month you get to learn contributions that you usually don’t see. It educates you on black success that mainstream  media would tell you. It wouldn’t fit their narrative of keeping us as if we didn’t help the nation grow.”

Black history month will never be just one month. Learning and moving forward is everyday. We should never lose sight of what history has taught us, but use the lesson for a greater look into the future.