The Alternative Times

Breaking news written by the ACE Journalism Class and our friends

Breaking News
  • April 23Very Important Date - Saturday, May 11th is Joe Pepin Day at ACE
  • September 22Follow us on X/TWITTER and get our articles first! @acealttimes

The Alternative Times

The Alternative Times

ACE students enjoy a day at UCONN attending a Stock Market simulation.
The Stock Trip
April 4, 2024
ACE students at NVCC learning about  EMT work as a possible career path.
NVCC Trip
April 2, 2024
Joannes door for Womens History Month
FLEX Update
April 2, 2024
Support Us
$160
$800
Contributed
Our Goal
Archives

Thanksgiving for the needy by Rick Cherico & Richie Reyes

At 7:30 Am on Thanksgiving morning we woke up, not anxious to spend time with our families,  but to assist the needy during the holiday. The mission of the day was to hand out winter jackets and warm food. In downtown Danbury there were approximately 25 volunteers. Behind John Webber is an army of eager men and women who are willing to spend their time on a holiday to help him help the unlucky citizens of Danbury. Four kids from Ace went to the coat drive: Rick Cherico, Anthony Bracey, Dylan Kennedy, and last but not least Richie Reyes.

We handed out winter jackets. Most of the coats and jackets never made it to the table because as soon as someone saw a jacket they liked them and took them for themselves. Richie Reyes brought in a 55 gallon garbage bag full of old clothes. The bag was empty in ten minutes.  We also handed out bagels and hot drikns but our big box of deserts which included cookies, coffee cakes, Danishes and brownies was the crowd’s favorite. The kitchen help was handing out hot food which for some of these people was the best cooked meal they had in a while .The entree consisted of lemon chicken, baked ziti, steamed veggies, white rice , and pizza. The food and the coat drive was a success. The coat drive ended at 9:30 am.     

Everybody had a wonderful Thanksgiving and so did the homeless. Thanks to the ACE for donating and for the students volunteering. But the real special thanks goes to Two Steps; Cousin Larry’s; Nico’s and Pippas. Without their hospitality and major contributions of tables’ chairs, food warmer racks, the food and the day could not have happened. Thanks to the man of the hour John Webber, the humanitarian, who organizes the whole event and has been doing so for the past couple years.