The Alternative Times

Breaking news written by the ACE Journalism Class and our friends

Breaking News
  • May 17ACE Graduation - Class of 2024 - is at Broadview on Wednesday June 12th! Congratulations to the graduates.
  • September 22Follow us on X/TWITTER and get our articles first! @acealttimes

The Alternative Times

The Alternative Times

Elvis of ACE
Elvis of ACE
June 18, 2024
Gregs gym class stopping by a water well on one of many hiking adventures.
Greg's Gym Class
May 29, 2024
The day we show appreciation to the reason why were here today
Happy Mother's Day
May 21, 2024
Support Us
$260
$800
Contributed
Our Goal
Archives

The Annual ACE Coffee House

What is the ACE Coffee House?
    Joanne Tolles
    photo of the coffee house from a few years ago taken by Joanne the person who started the coffee house

Here at ACE our school happily hosts the Coffee House which we do for one late afternoon at the beginning of June every year. The Coffee House is meant to be an event to show off and celebrate artistic talents such as singing, poetry, acting, or playing musical instruments. There’s also food and good spots to sit and chat.

Hatters Park venue which is where the coffee house is held (Joanne Tolles)

The Coffee House was first started by Joanne Tolles back in 2003 which makes this year its 21st anniversary! This year’s theme is tropical paradise but it changes every year.

After interviewing a few people they had this to say about their thoughts on the coffee House. I asked what the coffee house is to them and how they think people feel about it. The answers I got were “The coffee house is a family and school-based event that allows students, family, and alumni to gather together for an end-of-year celebration and share some creative works.” and “I believe that others like it and look forward to the night. I know that many students are nervous leading up to the actual evening but when it is over I think most feel proud and satisfied with what they accomplished.” 

I had also asked what their favorite coffee house theme was and one teacher said, “My favorite theme was the cherry blossom theme because it was symbolic of the beauty of life. We had just lost a beloved student who loved music and poetry within that year and it was a way to honor his memory. The cherry blossom decorations were gigantic branches that John had collected. We decorated them with mini white light strings and then pink tissue paper that we balled up to create the look of cherry blossoms in the trees.” This is very nice and I think it really shows how amazing and important the coffee house is.

Photo of my mom and dog at the coffee house last year (Phoebe Lewis)

In conclusion, I think everyone should check out the coffee house once in their life to experience the true sense of community that ACE gives to Danbury.