Joe Pepin Ceremony at ACE

Staff Photographer

Principal John Webber and the Pepin family speak holding the original ACE mascot.

Roger Rodriguez, Staff Writer

Who was Joe Pepin? And why was there  a ceremony hosted for him at the ACE Thanksgiving dinner in Danbury, CT on November 22, 2022?

For those who do not already know, Joe Pepin was a math teacher and the founding principal of ACE from 1977 until his retirement in 1997.  Joe Pepin sadly passed away earlier this year on January 14th at the age of 85. In remembrance of his name, the City Council approved the renaming of the Alternative Center for Excellence building to the Joseph W. Pepin Memorial Building as well as the renaming of Robert Avenue in Danbury, CT, to Joe Pepin Way.

The building and the road were both renamed in Joe Pepin’s honor.

When asked about Joe Pepin and how students felt about the ceremony, many believed that it was the right decision for ACE to host a ceremony in remembrance of Joe Pepin. Even students who said they personally did not know Joe Pepin stated how thankful they were for ACE. Amique – a senior at ACE – said,  “personally I can’t say I ever met Joe Pepin but as a student at ACE who truly feels like ACE has helped me get myself together and focussed up, I am thankful for his role in the founding of ACE.” 

The Joe Pepin Ceremony which took place at the beginning of ACE’s Thanksgiving dinner was not only a ceremony for the renaming of ACE and Robert Ave but also a dedication to Joe Pepin and the man he was. Not only was he known for being very dedicated to his students, he was named Teacher of Year in 1996. Even after his retirement, every year Joe Pepin would also attend the same Thanksgiving dinner he started back when he was the principal of ACE. He would attend graduation ceremonies and has even expressed many times in the past how proud he is of ACE and to be the founder. We at ACE are blessed to have had him as our founder, friend, and family.