The Alternative Times

Breaking news written by the ACE Journalism Class and our friends

Breaking News
  • May 17ACE Graduation - Class of 2024 - is at Broadview on Wednesday June 12th! Congratulations to the graduates.
  • September 22Follow us on X/TWITTER and get our articles first! @acealttimes

The Alternative Times

The Alternative Times

Elvis of ACE
Elvis of ACE
June 18, 2024
Gregs gym class stopping by a water well on one of many hiking adventures.
Greg's Gym Class
May 29, 2024
The day we show appreciation to the reason why were here today
Happy Mother's Day
May 21, 2024
Support Us
$260
$800
Contributed
Our Goal
Archives

Earth Day

Katjas+Bulletin+Board+
Winnie Henriquez
Katjas Bulletin Board
Denver's First Earth Day, 1970 | Denver Public Library Special Collections and Archives
by Katie Rudolph

Every year on April 22nd, Earth Day is celebrated to demonstrate support for environmental protection. Earth Day’s purpose is to promote greater consciousness and gratitude for the Earth’s resources and to remind us to fight for climate change and natural loss.

The first year Earth Day was celebrated, was in the 1970s when a United States senator in Wisconsin organized something special to raise awareness on environmental issues. The senator organized rallies and fought for a solution to the issues going on along with others. The following year, the U.S           government created the Environmental Protection Agency.

I interviewed teachers at ACE, Katja, and Melissa, who offered a FLEX period to make junk art to highlight Earth Day and to emphasize the need to take care of our environment. When I interviewed Melissa and Katja, there was one thing they both agreed on – that was that we should be taking care of our planet every day in small and simple ways.

Katja said, “Just take what we need and reuse it.”

Later, I asked ACE  English teacher Daniela, if Earth Day was an important day to her and if it meant something more profound. She explained, “I think it’s very important to be mindful of our environment and it is one day we should celebrate every day.”

Daniela also pitches in and picks up around her neighborhood once a week. She also encouraged her husband to start recycling. Daniela runs a school trip called Poetry Hike where we go for a walk sans electronic devices and connect to everything around us.

The bulletin board highlighted at the top of this articles is  made mostly up of Plastics and was created by the students in Katja’s and Melissa’s FLEX classes

Turtle made by Plastics (Winnie Henriquez)outside of katja’s room that was created by some ACEstudents during an Earth Day flex

Earth Day is day that reminds us to take care of our environment and a wake up call to help our earth keep growing better.