The Alternative Times

Breaking news written by the ACE Journalism Class and our friends

Breaking News
  • April 23Very Important Date - Saturday, May 11th is Joe Pepin Day at ACE
  • September 22Follow us on X/TWITTER and get our articles first! @acealttimes

The Alternative Times

The Alternative Times

ACE students enjoy a day at UCONN attending a Stock Market simulation.
The Stock Trip
April 4, 2024
ACE students at NVCC learning about  EMT work as a possible career path.
NVCC Trip
April 2, 2024
Joannes door for Womens History Month
FLEX Update
April 2, 2024
Support Us
$160
$800
Contributed
Our Goal
Archives

Suicide Prevention Month

Call+988+if+you+feel+like+you+need+to+talk+to+someone.%0A%28Picture+drawn+by+ACE+student%29+
T Smith
Call 988 if you feel like you need to talk to someone. (Picture drawn by ACE student)

September is Suicide Prevention month. I interviewed a few people who will stay anonymous. First, here are some things you need to know. Suicidal Ideation is a very common term many people don’t know about. Suicidal Ideation is thinking, planning, or wishing you weren’t alive. Here are some signs some people are having Suicidal Ideation. If some are having mood swings, they are happy then angry or impatient the next second. Also isolating from people. Not wanting to go out, not wanting to see close friends and just staying inside all the time. What can come with isolation is not having the energy or not liking things you loved, just losing interest in things. Also if someone feels like they are trapped or they are feeling hopeless is a huge sign and you need to report it to someone.

A lot of reasons people want to unalive themselves is because they can’t cope or get out of stressful and overwhelming life situations. People may feel like there is no way out but dying. Also it can be genetic. Parents can pass down mental health problems that can cause Suicidal Ideation. 

Here are some people who will remain anonymous from ACE that answered these question

“Have you lost someone or know someone who has lost someone to suicide?” -Me

“No i have not” -anonymous  

“Have you ever felt suicidal ideation or know someone who has?” -Me

“Yes myself” -anonymous 

“How has suicidal ideation affected your life?” -Me

“Has made me a lot less social and more angry and also distant to people who are close to me” -anonymous 

“How should you react to someone asking for help?” -Me

“I would ask them first if they want me to listen, then answer or answer while they are talking, then I would recommend them to see a therapist if they aren’t seeing one and I would go with them to go talk to a trusted adult. Just be there for the person. When you are going through Suicidal ideation you just want someone to listen to you. So that’s all you can do until they ask for help.(Unless they have a plan please go tell someone immediately)” -Me

You are not alone if you feel this way. Talk to anyone you trust, a friend, a teacher, a parent, an adult. It’s never too late until you go through. You can make it through many people including me. There are many people you can talk to. If one person doesn’t understand there are so many more.